Wind At My Back

I got up early this morning to leave Alamogordo, NM and head to Corpus Christi, TX. A storm moved through last night and there was a chance of snow. When I looked out the window I seen nice blue skies and brown ground. Perfect! Snow was limited to elevations over 6,000 feet and Alamogordo is at 4,000 feet so we just got a bit of rain.

I got a couple of miles down the road and traffic was backed up. I looked down between the lanes and seen a helicopter in the road. There was an accident and they were evacuating someone. The delay was only about 10 minutes and I was on my way. The first part of the trip was south and once I hit El Paso I headed east.

The storm that passed through also brought with it strong winds out of the northwest. That means I finally had a good breeze to my back. While heading out west it seems I was always heading into the wind and I wondered if my 8.7 MPG average would change on the way back. My first tank heading east averaged 11.3 MPG, so having wind at your back is a good thing.

I ended up stopping at Balmorhea State Park for the night. This is a really nice Texas state park that has pull through sites, 50 amp electric, water, cable and WiFi. No sewer at each site but I don't need to empty my tanks for tonight so it's no biggie. The park is nice and clean and they have a desert wetland area and a large artesian spring pool. I didn't try out the pool, it's only 51 degrees out!

Tomorrow I'll head out again and stop someplace just west of San Antonio for the night.

See a couple more photos of Balmorhea State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment