Laundry Day and High Tide

Just been chillin' over the past couple of days. It has been a bit cool but still enjoying the sun and no snow. Yesterday was nicer with a high in the upper 60's. Today was laundry day. I tried to put it off as long as I could so I could get away with not having to do laundry again until I got back. But I just plain ran out of clean clothes to wear so had to do it..... which also means I'll have to do it again one more time.

The laundromat in Port Aransas is pretty nice. Lots of machines in good shape, pool table, air hockey, video games, juke box and you can even order pizza in. Once I got the clothes in the drier I walked a block to the Rusty Jeep BBQ and had a chopped pork BBQ sandwich platter with beans and slaw. Pretty tasty!

By the time I got back to the trailer it was up into the mid 70's. Spud looked really sad that I had left him behind so decided to take a drive to the beach and walk him. As I drove onto the beach I noticed the water was up a bit more then it normally is. The waves were really crashing in so I figured it was just the high waves that made the gulf look higher. I looked down the beach and there were a couple of cars and a few tents as is normal.

Parked the truck up close to the dunes and headed out for a walk. Got down the beach a hundred yards or so and I could see a state park truck driving down the beach. You usually see them once an hour or so as they patrol. As he got next to me stopped and asked if that was my truck down there. Told him yep and he advised me it might be a good idea to get it off the beach as the tide was really going to be high today and they really didn't know just how high it was going to be. He pointed over to the day use area were there were about 3 cars and told me they were already trapped in the day use area and couldn't get off the beach. took his advice and got off the beach and parked in the paved parking area.

Once I got on the beach in the picnic area I looked down and could see that the other couple of cars and tents that were pitched had packed up and were leaving. Still went for a walk and in the the hour or so I was there the waters had come up at least to where my truck had been parked. The water had eaten up at least 80 foot of the beach and I had never seen it even close to that high before. Sure glad that park truck happened by when it did!

Now at 8pm, it still is fairly warm out but the winds have really picked up with 35mph winds, gusts to 40mph. I really like this area but I'm not sure I could take these winds day after day after day. They say it's not as bad in the summer but I still wouldn't want to have to put up with it for even a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment