Taking It Easy In The Big Easy

I made it to Bayou Segnette State Park in Westwego, LA which is just across the Mississippi from New Orleans. The drive here was pretty decent except for the rain I had all the way. It wasn't heavy rain, just enough to use wipers. But that was enough to trash the outside of the trailer, it looks like I've never washed it.

The park is really nice. It has electric and water hookups and the sites are huge with 50 foot or more between sites. The bathrooms/showers are immaculate and they even have free laundry facilities. There is also WiFi but it sucks so I'm tethering my Blackberry. No pictures of the park today as it was raining too hard to go out and take some. I'll post a couple tomorrow. I have reservations for 3 nights but since it suppose to rain for the next 2 days I may just stay a couple extra days to "investigate" Bourbon Street.

A few things I have noticed that are interesting. To get here I used I-10. During part of the trip it goes over swamp land.... lots of swamp land. One part of the highway was actually an 18 mile bridge built up over the swamp. Watching local news there is still problems with abandoned homes damaged by Katrina. There are still 50,000 homes that have not been repaired or tore down. Lastly there is a oil executive that turned  up missing last Friday. His last known were abouts was walking towards the river from Bourbon Street late at night. Guess I'll have to take some precautions on my visits there.... but then I have already heard about how to safely visit that area.

Update on the missing guy. Looks like he was drunk and fell into the river. Haven't found him yet but from security cameras it looks that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment