Mustang Island State Park

This morning I packed up and moved to Mustang Island State Park located just north of Port Aransas, Texas. It is only about 5 miles down the road from where I was so the move was easy. I didn't have to really pack things away as good as I would on a day I was going further so it only took about 15 minutes to get everything put away. I made reservations for 2 weeks earlier and I'm glad I did, they were full when I got there at 10am this morning

Mustang Island SP campground is located just over a small sand dune from the Gulf of Mexico. The RV campground area has 48 sites available with 15/30/50 amp electric and water. A dump station is close by. I'm not worried about dumping my tanks because I can go 2 weeks without dumping. The RV campground basically a packing lot with paved pads off the sides. Each site has a small gazebo, picnic table and charcoal grill. The sites aren't huge but there is plenty of room to put out your awning if you want and to extend your slides without feeling cramped. With the wind coming off the Gulf I doubt I'll be putting out my awning much. There is also building with bathrooms and showers that are restricted to camper use. WiFi is available at the park office but I am able to get it at my campsite with my external WiFi adapter. So far the connection has been good and fast. At $17 per day this campground has everything I need,

The Gulf is only a short walk away with an access road so you can get your vehicle on the beach if you want. There is a paved parking lot next to the beach but it is pretty low and was full of water when I took a look. To the north of the parking lot is a day use area for people who are enjoying the beach for the day. That area has a couple of breakwalls and a porta potty for the day use visitors.

To the south of the parking lot is a camping area right on the beach. It has a capacity of 300 tents and you camp right on the beach. There are porta potties, rinse showers and water available in this area. There are a few picnic tables that came be shared by the tent campers and day users. As you walk the tent area you come across holes dug in the sand and remains of campfires that the tenters have used the previous night.

I just find the driving and camping on the beach amazing. Coming from Michigan where none of this is allowed, I find it refreshing that these recreational areas are preserved for the enjoyment of the public rather then horded by private interests. I didn't do much today other then take Spud for a walk on the beach. Will most likely enjoy the beach again tomorrow as it is suppose to turn cold the beginning of the week. Right now I'm planning on staying here two weeks then start winding my way back to Michigan.

Come on you Michiganders, get that weather warm up there already, will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment