Guadalupe, Pedernales and LBJ

Had a chance to get out and explore the area today. Nothing here is very close to each other so that means a bit of driving.


First stop was where I am staying, Guadalupe River State Park located close to Spring Branch, Texas. The park is about 25 miles north of San Antonio just off State Highway 46. The main feature of the park is the Guadalupe River.... go figure. When I first saw it I was really surprised at the deep cut walls that line parts of the river. There are large areas set aside for picnicking with many easy paths that you can walk to take in the river scenery. There are even areas where you can fish, swim and even tube down the river. While the park is pretty deserted now, I could see that this would be a hopping place in summer.

All of the facilities look to be in very good shape with nice bathroom in each major area. I also found out they have WiFi in areas of the park. I pulled out my super duty WiFi antenna and can get a usable signal for internet access. This is great a place to stop if in the area.

See more pictures of Guadalupe River State Park.

I then headed north another 35 miles or so to Johnson City. Johnson City is the birthplace of President Lyndon B. Johnson. Before visiting the LBJ Ranch I took a side trip to Pedernales Falls State Park which is 9 miles east of Johnson City. This takes you into the heart of Texas Hill Country. The road to the park is hilly. At the bottom of some of the hills there are "flood level" markers so you can see how much water is flowing over the road... they went up to 5 foot!


Once you get on the park road is winding and hilly. Reminded me a lot of the road from Gardner to Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. They have a large camping area in the park so I drove through to see what it was like. It's much like the camping area where I am at now. From there I headed to the spot on the park map marked as a swimming and tubing area.

This is not like any swimming spot I've ever seen before. You have about 100 yard walk down a path with numerous steps to get to the river. Once there you have patches of sand in between large rocks and trees. The river in this area is littered with boulders but these also create areas of calm water that would be perfect for a soak. Interesting indeed.

It was then on to Pedernales Falls. This was completely unexpected in the middle of Texas. The river is down so there was not a lot of water flow, but the whole area is awesome. You can get right down to the rivers edge and walk on the rocks that would make up the falls when the river is running faster. Sheer cliffs are on the other side of the river with a sandy beach for swimming below the falls. This is easily the best place I have visited since being in Texas and I could have stayed here all day. But time was running short and I had one more place I wanted to visit.

See more pictures of Pedernales Falls State Park.


14 miles west of Johnson City is the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site. This park was created from the Johnson Ranch and it is still a working ranch. The visitors center has a lot of information on LBJ's life and memorabilia. They have a self guided tour on a CD that you play in your car while you drive around the ranch.

One of the most interesting parts was the main driveway to the ranch that goes through the Pedernales River and your car is actually in the water as you cross the river (it is no longer in use). You may remember pictures of LBJ and Lady Bird riding in their Continental convertible as water splashed under it's wheels. Also located here is LBJ's Western White House, his parents home, the one room school house he attended and an exhibit of his white Continentals, other cars and other memorabilia at the ranch airplane hanger.

The LBJ State Park is more of an historical site then what many would consider a state park. If you have any interest of this time in history, you want to stop here,

More pictures of the LBJ Ranch.

That wrapped up my day. Well, almost. On the way back to the camp site I spotted a DQ, me and Spud shared a carmel sundae! Pretty exciting day and I saw things I never expected. I'm glad I took the time to stop in this area. I'm going to extend my stay for a couple more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment