Fort Stockton Texas

I left Guadalupe River State Park this morning for Big Bend National Park and stopped at Fort Stockton RV Park for the night. It was a bit frosty this morning with temps in the upper 20s. As I retracted the slider before leaving there was a bunch of racket outside. Decided I better go investigate. Their must have still been some water on the slide topper and it had frozen during the night. It all slid off as the topper rolled up and crashed to the ground.

The drive to Ft. Stockton was a nice change of pace. While it was a bit hilly, the scenery was very nice. It is what I would consider typical western plains scenery. Right out of a Marlboro commercial. There are also a lot of wind generator farms on top of the flat hills.

Here are a few more pictures.

The Fort Stockton RV Park is pretty nice considering it is in the middle of nowhere. OK, Fort Stockton may be one of the larger cities in the region, but there is still no much else around. Might be one reason the park is over half full, there really isn't any other place to stop within 100 miles. By the time I got here the temps had gotten up to 55 degrees, felt really good.

Not a lot trees and stuff on the lots but there isn't much of that in the area. The park is clean with a bit of construction going on behind the main building. The bathrooms/showers are surprising nice. All full hookup sites are pull through and there are sites for any size rig. I was able to pull in my 30' 5th wheel and leave my truck hooked up. The sites are wide enough to extend any slides you may have. They even have a tent area and a few cabins for rent. I was able to pull in 6 television channels, 4 or them are Spanish. They have WiFi but I found it close to worthless. The signal is strong, but so slow pages would time out loading. Verizon cell signal is strong so I'm tethering with no problems.

There is a small restaurant in the park that is open a couple hours in the morning and evening. I didn't feel like cooking something up so tried some of their Mesquite pork ribs. It was a pretty good meal for 8 bucks. I think I'll give their bisects and gravy a go in the morning.

I plan to be in Terlingua Texas tomorrow staying at the Big Bend Resort & Adventures RV Park. It is located only a few miles outside the west entrance to Big Bend NP and is suppose to be the best place to stay when visiting the park. I heard there is no cell service in the area but the park has WiFi. Not sure how many days I am going to stay there, it will just depend on how interesting Big Bend is.

No comments:

Post a Comment