AmeriCana RV Resort - Mission Texas

Overview: ‪I stayed in AmeriCana RV Park for 3 weeks in January 2010. It is a mature park.... I hesitate to call it an older park as it wears it's age well. With the maturity of the park comes many of the things that attracted me to it. It is a smaller park with about 125 spaces, lots of mature trees for ample shading for most of the spaces and just enough facilities to make it enjoyable.‬

Location: AmeriCana is in a good location close to I-83. It is only 3 miles from Bentsen State Park which is the birding capital to the world. There are many other RV parks in the vacinity so you will see many other Winter Texans biking and walking in the area.‬ ‪This also puts it close to just about any big box store you could ever want, many eateries, movie theaters, malls and gas stations. A few blocks to the west is an area that is a bit run down but I never felt uncomfortable driving through the area. ‬



Lots: This is one of the most attractive features of AmeriCana. The premium lots are large compared to most parks in the area at the same price point. Each primium lot has a cement patio and is well shaded. Most RV parks would have split them in two and stuffed another RV in the same spot. Each lot has at least a couple of trees with ground cover instead of dirt or gravel. The RV sits on a gravel pad as does your tow vehicle or towed if you have one. The economy lots can be small and cramped with a gravel surface and no cement patio. I highly recommend paying the few extra dollars for a premium site. If you use satellite TV or internet be sure to let them know so you will get a lot with a clear view to the south.

All sites are back in and there are lots to fit any size RV. Since this is a mature park the roads are a bit narrow. Two vehicles can pass side by side but that is about it. With the lots being as large as they are I did not observe anyone having a problem backing into their sites. I would guess that 25% of the lots taken by permanent seasonal units that were all kept up very nicely.

Site Services: Each site is full hook up with 30 and/or 50 amp service, water and sewer. Sewer hookups are towards the rear of the lot so make sure you have enough hose to reach, I needed 30 foot of hose. My site had 50 amp only but I have an adaptor to hook it up to my 30 amp cable. I never had a problem with electric power or water pressure. The water is hard as it left a lot of water spots when I washed my truck. Cable TV is available through the local cable company, I did not use it as reception was very good for the 4 major networks using my over the air antenna. Free WiFi is available in the park clubhouse only. Aircard reception using Verizon was excellent.



Park Accommodations: The park has a pool and hot tub located next to the clubhouse. While not huge they are adequate considering the size of the park. There is a nice patio around the pool/hot tub and it was always clean and neat. There are mens and ladies bathrooms with showers located close to the pool. The bathrooms were nice and clean but the showers are a bit on the small size. The laundry room has 4 pay washers and dryers. Also available are mail boxes if you plan on receiving mail. The clubhouse has ample seating for activities and has a large kitchen that is used for weekly breakfasts and other activities.

The park is very pet friendly and you will always see someone walking their dog. At the back of the park is a bird sanctuary. It is privately owned by one of the park seasonal residents and it provides a nice stop to have a nice short walk in a wooded area and view a few birds at the feeding station.

Activities: There are a number of activities planned each day. This varies from Spanish lessons to Bible Study, Exercise classes, Poker, Pokeno, Computer help and bike rides. There are also a number of special events each month that are one time events. I did not participate in the activities but I seen the Pokeno, poker, Spanish lessons and the weekly jam session were very popular.

Cost: I paid $130.00 weekly including electric. Daily rates are $30 with monthly rates are $400 not including electric. Good Sam is accepted for a few day on the daily rate.

Summery: I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at AmeriCana. The hosts are super friendly and helpful and all of the parks guests/residents were great. My favorite things was the ample shading and comfortable laid back atmosphere of the park. It was great to have birds in the trees throughout the park instead of a barren plot with little to no landscaping. Almost every evening I would sit on the patio just to relax in the shade and chat with the other guests as they walked by. Almost every day a flock of parakeets would fly in to occupy the local vegetation. My neighbor had a a hummingbird feeder out and it was interesting to see them fly in to have a drink.

I would highly recommend AmeriCana RV Park to anyone visiting the Rio Grande Valley and would suggest that you upgrade to a premium site if at all possible.

AmeriCan RV Park, 721 N. Bentsen Palm Dr., Mission, TX
(956)581-1705 - http://www.americanarvresort.com

No comments:

Post a Comment